From: Simon Buchan (simon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 04:13:30

Andy Little wrote:
> Brian Riis wrote
<snip>
>>I don't think we want a GUI system where people will say, "Hey look at
>>this app; it's obviously written in C++, judging by the UI!"
>

> I think you are limiting the possibilities here. Maybe a C++ GUI should be 3D.
> Maybe we should default to a round window. You cant have true platform
> independence if by default you need to simulate a particular platforms look and
> feel. IOW then you cant have one default interface. Being able to put
> on a platform dependent skin is an often requested feature, but is trivial to
> achieve IMO. The number one feature is simplicity and ease of use which means
> platform independence... "simply works")
>
> regards
> Andy Little

Could it least not be as ugly as Java's UI? :D
More seriously, UI consistancy with the local platform is rather
important. On X systems, every time you double-click the title it
collapses into it, while on Windows it maximises! The GUI should by
default behave the same as the rest of the user's programs.
Think of it as localising to the users UI locale.