From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 14:36:27

"Vladimir Prus" wrote
> Andy Little wrote:
>> "Vladimir Prus" wrote
>>
>>> Failing that, anybody has any killer idea for GUI development that
>>> warrants new library? Why don't add Qt to the C++ standard?
>>
>> http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/pricing.html
>
> That's not really relevant in two areas:
>
> For developers:
> 1. For open-source applications, there's GPL version, costing exactly $0
> 2. Do you really want to write a new GUI library just to help commercial
> companies?

I dont know whether I want to contribute to writing such a library, but I am
looking into it.
It wouldnt be 'just' for commercial puposes. Also it is a difficult challenge.
like climbing a mountain.
It could potentially profit the developers in form of books and teaching, though
it would be a long term project and there is no guarantee!.

[snip]

> - Why do you think any implementation of standard library should be free of
> charge?

The competition - Java GUI is effectively free of charge.

regards
Andy Little