From: Simon Buchan (simon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 17:23:11

Martin Bonner wrote:
> [...]
I thought we were talking about the type that's easiest for a computer
to push around?

>>I never understood why long didn't become the 64-bit type. It seems
>>pointless to have int and long the same size on 32-bit.
>

> Oh god no! The thread that would not die! This has been argued to death on
> comp.std.c.

Heh. Sorry :)
(But really, what's different?)

> The reason long didn't become the 64-bit type is that most commercial C
> compiler vendors wanted to continue to support code their customers had
> written that assumed long was exactly four eight-bit bytes.
>
> You can argue as long as you like that the problem is in that code (and I
> would agree with you). It won't change the fact that telling your customers
> they are wrong is not usually the route to commercial success.

Oh, ok. But what about non-commercial compilers? And why did int get
longer for 32-bit? (You don't have to answer that)

>>Who still writes 16-bit code on desktop, anyway? :D
>
> Nobody ... but who still writes for the desktop? Think about the number of
> car radios (as just one example) compared to the number of PCs.

Yes, but there arn't many 64-bit "car radios", and thus not much need to
have 4 different int sizes. And I don't believe in the demise of the
desktop, just the demise of the desk, but that's a different argument.