From: Bo Persson (bop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-30 12:59:22

"Joel de Guzman" <joel_at_[hidden]> skrev i meddelandet
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Joel de Guzman <joel_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>>This is total nonsense. Even MS switched the L&F when it switched
>>>from Win3.x to Win95/98 to WinXP. No one complains. Are you saying
>>>that *only* MS has the right to change L&F? Or to be more general,
>>>is it the sole right of OS vendors to dictate the L&F?
>>

>> That may be true as a practical matter. I believe Suman was
>> talking
>> about what users will accept, rather than what anyone has "a right"
>> do.
>
> Understood. I apologize for my tone. Still, I simply do not buy
> this "comfortable with the existing standards" thing. OS vendors,
> including MS, change the L&F all the time. People adjust quickly
> unless the L&F is too alien.

No. When I moved from win 95 to XP, I expected the applications to
look like XP applications. Those that had the old look-and-feel felt
really old and were soon replaced.

For people using only one platform, there is no requirement what so
ever to have an application look the same on Windows, Linux, OSX, and
Palm OS. There is a requirement that all programs look and behave
similar to each other, for the specific platform.

Bo Persson