From: Suman Cherukuri (suman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-30 13:26:26

[snip]

> > Understood. I apologize for my tone. Still, I simply do not buy
> > this "comfortable with the existing standards" thing. OS vendors,
> > including MS, change the L&F all the time. People adjust quickly
> > unless the L&F is too alien.
>
> No. When I moved from win 95 to XP, I expected the applications to
> look like XP applications. Those that had the old look-and-feel felt
> really old and were soon replaced.
>
> For people using only one platform, there is no requirement what so
> ever to have an application look the same on Windows, Linux, OSX, and
> Palm OS. There is a requirement that all programs look and behave
> similar to each other, for the specific platform.
>

> Bo Persson

I agree with Bo. In my experience, the majority of complaints I got from my
customers about Java UI is its "different" look on Windows. Java UI looks
the same on all platforms and it's acceptable by a VERY few people, mostly
in the IT department where they maintain different platforms. But for an
average user of the application, they are comfortable with the L&F of the
machine they use daily and needless to say, most of them are Windows boxes.

If Boost UI can adapt to the native L&F it'd be more useful and will be
widely accepted. If we decide on one UI for any and all the platforms, we
may face a lot of challenges in acceptance.

--Suman