From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-04 05:07:48

"John Torjo" <john.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Andy Little wrote:
>
>> "Simon Buchan" <simon_at_[hidden]> wrote
>>
>> [cut]
>>

>>>More seriously, UI consistancy with the local platform is rather
>>>important. On X systems, every time you double-click the title it
>>>collapses into it, while on Windows it maximises! The GUI should by
>>>default behave the same as the rest of the user's programs.
>>>Think of it as localising to the users UI locale.
>>

>> Thats a good point, but is that not convention only? Its not required
>> behaviour.
>> Suppose I am on an XWindows system and I want MSWindows behaviour. That point
>
> I think you're thinking like a programmer here :)
> (and not like a user).
> A user expects your program to follow a standard (the OS's standard)

But maybe I'm developing a Unix app on Windows. (which in my case is actually
plausible. I prefer developing on Windows to Linux for instance). Anyway FWIW
replicating Look is easy and maybe not as important to get exact, but
replicating feeel is more complicated and more important.

Meanwhile I'm glad you showed up! I have been looking at various GUI systems
including win32gui. There are a lot of things I like in win32gui, for instance
use of units.. if only for scripts. However despite the platform independent
events section in the documentation, from looking through the source the library
seems to be clinging very tightly to Win32 API. As such I dont see how it can
be made platform independent without breaking the current interface. What are
your comments on that?

BTW it looks like it is possible to do XWindows development using Cygwin. Has
anyone had any experience of that?

regards
Andy Little

regards