From: Simon Buchan (simon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-04 06:55:43

Andy Little wrote:
<snip>
> BTW it looks like it is possible to do XWindows development using Cygwin. Has
> anyone had any experience of that?

AFAIK, Cygwin would like for you to pretend that it /is/ a Linux system,
but try using the default DDD package to see how expensive the system
is. (No, it *isn't* frozen, it just takes that long to start up GDB!)
I havn't tried actually writing XWindows apps, though, either in Cygwin
or Linux propper.
However, I still find the extra Linux apps (including XWindows apps)
quite usefull for development in general (I actually prefer DDD to MSVC
.NET's debugger, even with a 2min startup!).
Your system may differ, of course, It's been a while since I got CygWin
updated (it's quite hard to download at work, copy to disk, install at
home, due to package tools)