From: Kevin Wheatley (hxpro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-12 10:38:20

David Abrahams wrote:

> "troy d. straszheim" <troy_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > 326.17s user 153.82s system 92% cpu 8:40.03 total
> >
> > the first ~30 seconds of which is bjam calculating the dependencies
> > for each test module.
>
> Unless you have used bjam's profiling feature to break the execution
> time down carefully, you shouldn't draw any conclusions about how much
> time it spends calculating dependencies -- they're usually wrong.

as an example, in a few cases recently it has been filesystem
operations e.g. pwd, that has caused Boost.Build to sit there spinning
its thumbs, the CVS version has some big improvements over the
bjam/Boost.Build in 1.33. However reducing the dependancies/number of
compile/link operations will no doubt also help, the proportions may
now be different.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |