From: Calum Grant (calum_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-18 14:52:19

> > The problem with this data is that it contains a lot of
> duplicates.
> > If I cluster the cities into 5103 clusters, I get 47ms. On
> the other
> > hand if I don't cluster them, then I get 4.1s. The
> expensive part is
> > building the index of indexing on distances. The results
> are rather
> > odd
> > - the 500 locations I get have 991 neighbours.
>
> This sounds like a correct result -- can I see the first 50 items?

The output is at the bottom.

I've managed to get my times down a bit by reimplementing the solution
in a much more straightforward way. I can insert all 21421 items,
calculate the number of neighbours, and display the top 500 in 235ms.
Then I can remove 1982 items, and redisplay the results, in 47
milliseconds. This of course makes me suspicious that I'm doing
something wrong.........

The solution I have is not terribly elegant from RML's point of view,
since as I said before RML is designed for logical queries rather than
numerical computation. It was not a terribly interesting problem
because it needed just a single table with two indexes.

Regards,

Calum

     17882 ALTEC-AS 991
     16918 BILIM-AS 991