From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-24 12:54:27

Rob Stewart wrote:
> From: Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]>
>>>
>> o.assign(val);
>> o.clear();
>>
>> That looks obviously not pointer like to me. And clear enough as to
>> the meaning. But of course it brings to mind the idea that it's just
>> a single value container, and hence possibly should have some more of
>> those interfaces.
>
> I suspect that adding container-like functions to the pointer
> interface will do more harm than good.

The pointer interface is exclusively for value access.
I don't see a real problem using member functions for the other operations,
like assignment and clearing.
Altough I do prefer to use unique names if possible.

rebind() is perfect.
clear() rings better than reset() to me.

--
Fernando Cacciola
SciSoft