From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-28 13:30:25

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Fernando Cacciola" <fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Michael Shepanski wrote:
>>> On 10/27/05, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, there is sound (IMO at least) alignment proposal for the std,
>> so we may not need to worry anymore about this in the not so distant
>> future.
>
> I don't think that proposal gives us any more guarantees than we have
> today.

Oh.. I was refering to n1546.. Do you as well?

I interpreted that the idea there is to be able to spell:

char align_as<T> storage[sizeof(T)];

And let the compiler do the magic.

Isn't that all we need?
Or is that the proposal was rejected?

Note for the curious:
This article by Tom Lokovic, although totally unrelated to boost AFAICS,
explains how boost::alignment_of<> works (because he proposes the same
technique)

http://www.monkeyspeak.com/alignment/

--
Fernando Cacciola