From: Ashok Thirumurthi (athirumurthi.news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-31 21:12:20

> > Ashok Thirumurthi wrote:
> > Dear Boost,
> >
> > The following call stack leads to an access violation when I link a VC
7.1 DLL
> > to the release build of the boost signals 1_33_0 DLL. In comparison,
> > there is no access violation when I link to the debug build of the same
> > library. Similarly, when I add the signals source to my own release
> > DLL, there is no access violation. I attempted to disable all compiler
> > optimizations in msvc.jam as follows. However, after running bjam -a
> > in signals\build and installing the output, the AV still occurs.
>
> You were commenting out BBv2 code. Boost.Signals is being build with
> BBv1 (if you were building it from the boost root), use "bjam -a --v2"
> to build with BBv2. Also, you can use:
>
> bjam -a --v2 optimization=off
>
> to turn off the optimization?

Thanks. Disabling all optimizations prevents the access violation.

> > How can I alter the release build to avoid the access violation?
> >
> > Access violation reading location 0x00000004
> > (*((k2).content)).__vfptr is 0x00000000
> >
> > bool operator()(const any& k1, const any& k2) const
> > {
> > if (k1.type() == typeid(front_type))
> > return !(k2.type() == typeid(front_type));
> > if (k1.type() == typeid(back_type))
> > return false;
> >
> >> if (k2.type() == typeid(front_type))
>
> This looks to be an issue with either Boost.Any or your code. What is
> any::type() returning?

Actually, the () operator is crashing with the access violation. When I run
without optimizations, k1.type is front_type and k2.type is back_type. If I
optimize for speed (/O2), k1.content is null and k2.content.__vfptr is null.
So, type() cannot be evaluated.

If I optimize for size (/O1), I observe an invalid lock sequence exception
(0xC000001E) when constructing a _Tree_ptr.

> Have you made sure that RTTI is enabled for everything (including your
> own project -- is there a difference in the vcproj Configurations?)

Yes.

> Are you doing something in the Debug version that is not in the Release
> version?
>
> Are you linking with the right variant of the boost libraries? Is there
> a conflict with the run-time library being used?

I can reproduce the problem and the work-around by compiling the boost
source into a DLL using a VC++ 7.1 project. Initially, I had used the bjam
scripts without any modification after installing the full 1_33 source. I
was able to reproduce the problem with boost 1_32.

However, I'm not sure how to determine if a conflict exists. Thanks to your
advice regarding bjam, I have a work-around in hand,

- Ashok

> - Reece

> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:43:59 +0100