From: Manfred Doudar (manfred.doudar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-31 21:39:50

Cromwell Enage wrote:

>--- David Abrahams wrote:
>

>>integer_part is common usage. It doesn't matter if
>>you don't think it's descriptive; everyone will
>>understand it...
>>

>Okay, if everyone understands it, then that's what
>I'll use.
>

>>unless of course you mean something different from
>>what everybody means by "integer part."
>>

>I was thinking that integer_part included the sign and
>whole_part didn't.

That's a little scary;

integer_part, and fractional_part ... are ideal names,

BUT I would expect that both integer and fractional _parts
*included* the sign - and I tend to think anything else
would inevitably lead to confusion.

There of course are complementary calls like `abs` and `sign`
which should assuage all.

Cheers,

--
Manfred Doudar