From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-01 23:58:19

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:35:37 -0500, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote
> "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > Microsoft has published an API for Windows Vista supporting POSIX-like
> > symbolic links.
>
> > Unless someone has a killer argument against, I'll add a create_symlink()
> > function to Boost.Filesystem.
>
> This seems perfectly reasonable. In practice, however, I think any
> program that creates symlinks will be highly confusing for most Windows
> users,

You mean more confusing then magic folders that transport you around the
filespace in odd ways -- like My_Documents?

> and thus this feature is likely not to ever be used by most users
> of the library. This seems to show how platform-specific many
> filesystem manipulations really are.

I think links are an incredibly useful tool Unix and I sorely miss them when I
use Windows...so I actually think this feature will get used extensively --
well at least by me ;-)

Jeff