From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-03 15:04:20

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Michael D. Crawford" <crawford_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I *did* know that there are different degrees of exception safety,
>> so I compare thread-safety guarantees to that. When I cover
>> exception safety in a week or so I'll discuss what that means;
>> sometimes for reasons of performance or memory conservation, one
>> must choose not to be completely exception-safe.
>
> Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

At first I interpretted Michael's statement to mean that sometimes you might
reasonably choose not to meet even the basic exception-safety guarantee. But
maybe by "completely exception-safe" Michael means the "no-throw" guarantee, in
which case there may be all sorts of reasons, depending on the circumstances,
not to be completely exception-safe, no?

--
Jonathan Turkanis
www.kangaroologic.com