From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-04 07:41:40

Martin Bonner wrote:
>> We do have a pronoun for just such a usage, albeit one that appears
>> to be used today only by the British royal family. Perhaps it
>> sounds archaic, but one understands what one is talking about when
>> one uses the correct language.
>
> We do. However what one *meant* to write was:
>
> One's personal preference is to use "they" as the *THIRD* person
> singular gender-neutral pronoun.

Ok. However, as you have already intimated, that's grammatically
incorrect.

> As used by the British royal family, "one" is a first person
> singular pronoun.

Perhaps. I've always felt that the royals refer to themselves in the
third person and that it's this that makes them sound a little
peculiar. I've always thought as "one" as directly equivalent to the
However, I'm having difficulty thinking of any English examples :)

Perhaps I've led us down a blind alley; apologies for that.

Returning to the original example:
    This means for example that the client can completely
    discard Bind if she does not need it.
I'd suggest rewriting it as:
    This means that the user can discard Bind completely
    if it is not needed.

That would get rid of a split infinitive too, but that's a whole other
ball game :)

Angus