From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-06 09:08:57

Alan Gutierrez wrote:

>>>That's one of my main criticisms of your suggested API --- it's
>>>too tightly bound to libxml, and doesn't really allow for
>>>substitution of another parser.
>

>>Could you substantiate your claim ?
>

> Sorting out exception handling, though and event framework like
> a push parser framework is no small challenge.
>
> I've always been critical of the Java SAXException, it is
> checked, and it cannot wrap a runtime expcetion, two choices
> that maximize the chanllenges of tunneling exceptions.

The probable addition of a cursor / event based API aside, I'd
really prefer we focus on the DOM API I proposed. It's totally
independent from SAX /XmlReader, and so we may be able to agree
on something fast.

[...]

>>Polymorphism is important for extensibility. However here the set
>>of node types is well known (and rather limited).
>

> What about a Post-Schema Valiation Infoset PSVI? With XMLSchema
> the types of nodes are unlimited.

That's an interesting point, and I have been waiting for this to
get raised. :-)

I'm not sure, though, that such a node (element ?) type system
should live at the same level as the suggested DOM layer, as opposed
to on top of it.

Regards,
                Stefan