From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-06 11:51:47

Stefan Seefeld wrote:

>> What about a Post-Schema Valiation Infoset PSVI? With XMLSchema
>> the types of nodes are unlimited.
>

> That's an interesting point, and I have been waiting for this to
> get raised. :-)
>
> I'm not sure, though, that such a node (element ?) type system
> should live at the same level as the suggested DOM layer, as opposed
> to on top of it.

To illustrate my point a bit, consider this:

Since we are talking about domain-specific extensions here, users
of the library would have to provide their own node factories, and
the nodes it creates would most likely contain some user-provided
state which applications would manipulate later on.

This is one example where modularization is important, i.e.
instead of designing such a facility right into the parser, and
complicating its design even for all those users who have no interest
in XML Schema.

Instead, I propose the parser to generate a generic dom as suggested,
and then provide a schema validator that *translates* the generic dom
into a tree of typed nodes, where the actual types are provided by
users, for specific application domains.

Regards,
                Stefan