From: Martin Slater (mslater_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-10 05:18:19

> I've written a test program to compare the time required by boost
> serialization
> to the time required by using stream i/o to do a similar operation. I've
> only
> used VC 7.1 (release mode) and my focus has been to try to determine how
> much overhead
> the serialization system adds compared to the alternative of not using it.
> The
> test consists for saving/loading 1000 instances of a class which includes
> all primitive types (? about 20 members including strings). Times are
> calculated
> by dividing the total time by 1000 to give ms / operaton.
>
> These preliminary results don't raise any major red flags.

Just to reiterate my experience of profiling boost::serialization
performance analysis) using one of our real data files for testing
(weighs in at > 100mb and thousands of individual instances of objects)
that the major bottleneck was strcmp caused by the type_id compare
looking up the per type information used for tracking and the such. This
  outweighed everything else by a wide margin. I can dig up the details
if your interested and up some point I will need to look at this again
and try and optimise it. This was using 1.32.0 so take the above with a
grain of salt *if* this area has changed significantly.

Martin