From: Scott Woods (scottw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-13 15:50:41

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Hise" <chaos_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 8:38 AM
Subject: [boost] singleton and active objects

> It occurred to me recently that having the option to make a singleton an
> active object may be vital in order to make an efficient multi-threaded
> singleton viable. By having function calls on the singleton enqueue
> requests and return future variables, threads should be able to access
> the singleton reasonably often without creating a bottleneck.

Your concerns seem reasonable. Yes, some active objects will be
singletons. The bit I don't get is why would the singleton type
know anything about active objects? Did you really mean that
active object would be an attribute of singleton through some
means? Aren't these things composed at a higher level?

> The question is, should I try to develop and submit an active object
> library before trying to get singleton accepted? I suspect that having
> an efficient multi-threaded solution available would help the next
> singleton review substantially.

For me at least they are separate. Personally I would tackle the
singleton first. Solely because it will probably be accepted, and
superseded, before the first active object review.

Cheers.