From: Kevin Wheatley (hxpro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-17 06:23:04

John Maddock wrote:

> > I am working on a new library. It is a computational framework where
> > the computations follow the following pattern:
> >
> > - Users build a computational object by selecting the computations
> > they are interested in (or author their own computational
> > primimtives which fit within the framework).
> > - Users push data into the object one sample at a time
> > - The object computes the requested quantities in the most
> > efficient method possible (resolving dependencies between
> > requested calculations, cacheing intermediate results, etc.)
> > - The object may or may not be stateful.
> >
> > What should such a library be called? Is there an accepted term for
> > such a computational model?

A flowgraph ? (well a Directed Acylic Graph probably), that's what we
call them in a compositing/3D application anyway. Your computation
object is obviously an optimising compiler, you've essentially
described the high level concepts within Apple's Shake, or any of the
other similar tools.

Other possible metaphors: pipeline, composition, schematic, process
tree, recipe

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |