From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-26 23:28:17

Ian McCulloch wrote:
> Is the bitwise_?archive_adaptor
> supposed to be useful for anything other than a native binary
> archive?

This is an alternative way of implementing the save_binary
optimization. Application of this adaptor to any existing archive class
will create a new archive class that includes the save_binary optimization.
So it could be applied to say a, text_oarchive. But of course
it would make no sense to do this as it would result in a slower
archive (in text archives, save_binary renders binary output
as base64 text). Also, saving data as bitwise binary maintains
the representation of the host machine so the application
of this adaptor would result in an archive which would
be non-portable accross machines.

> In what sense is it then an 'adaptor' ?

Thus I have referred to that as an "Adaptor"

Robert Ramey