From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-26 23:59:42

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> I'd really appreciate it if you could answer this question from my
>>
>> 2. Is this the promised simplification of the design we posted in
>> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/11/97002.php? If so,
>> by what measure is your approach a simplification?
>
> Honestly, I don't remember what it was specfically in response to.

In http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/11/97201.php you wrote:

  Shortly, I'll post some code that I believe addresses all your
  design goals in a much simpler and effective way.

I'm asking if the code you just posted represents that promised
simplification.

> It was intended to illustrate my view that the library can and should
> be extended without adding things to base classes

That it _can_ be so extended has been well established. We know that
it is possible since
http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/11/97002.php also extends
the library without adding anything to base classes.

> and finally that it simpler and more effective to do it this way.

We believe there are some aspects of "effectiveness" that you haven't
yet considered. We'd like to discuss those with you.

> The code attached implements all of the save_array functionality
> included in mattias system (actually more) in far fewer lines of
> code and with the benefits described in the posts.

By "mattias system" I suppose you're referring to something proposed
before 11-21-2005? Are you simply refusing to look at the code we
have replaced that proposal with (only 159 lines posted including
extensive comments which are mostly exposition)?

The point of that code was to present something that wouldn't modify
the existing library so that you could be comfortable thinking about
the consequences of a non-intrusive design without thinking we were
trying to make changes in your library. Our 159 lines are much
shorter and simpler than what you just posted; it should be easier to
think about the effects of using the smaller system.

>> And also, I'd appreciate it if you'd respond to the paragraph below.
>>
>> I actually don't want to get into a discussion of which non-intrusive
>> design is best. The social and code interoperability dynamics of any
>> non-intrusive design are the same, and that's really what I want to
>> discuss. Please let me know when you're ready to talk about that.
>
> Sorry, I don't even know what that means.

It means I want to discuss what happens when the people implementing
serialization functions for specific classes are not the same people
choosing the archive that will be used, and what happens when there is
a second, "non-official" interface to the serialization library that
must be used whenever it's important to get the best performance.

In http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/11/97201.php