From: Ben Artin (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-05 15:09:10

In article <u64q4872w.fsf_at_[hidden]>,
 David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Ben Artin <macdev_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > I think that this particular nit is hardly worth the amount of discussion
> > it's generated
>
> Exactly.

I am happy to drop this, but I will give you my opinion, since I assume that you
care enough to hear it once, and then just want everyone to move on to more
important matters.

> > which is why Daryle and I believe that the change should be made now to
> > make subsequent modifications easier.
>
> Do you have any idea what code you're asking to have changed?

Yes.

> Do you realize that the code being argued over was never checked in?

Yes.

> The current test is (boost/python/detail/config.hpp):
>
> # if !defined(_WIN32) && !defined(__CYGWIN__)
> \ && !defined(BOOST_PYTHON_USE_GCC_SYMBOL_VISIBILITY)
>
> \
> && BOOST_WORKAROUND(__GNUC__, >= 3) && (__GNUC_MINOR__ >=5 || __GNUC__
> > 3)
> # define BOOST_PYTHON_USE_GCC_SYMBOL_VISIBILITY 1 # endif
>
> Do you have a problem with that?

I do; that is *really* hard to read, IMO. It's clever, sure, but it's hard to
read.

> I can imagine that the following would be a very minor improvement, but it
> hardly seems to be worth the bits we're spending on it.
>

> # if !defined(_WIN32) && !defined(__CYGWIN__)
> \ && !defined(BOOST_PYTHON_USE_GCC_SYMBOL_VISIBILITY)
>
> \
> && (BOOST_WORKAROUND(__GNUC__, == 3) && __GNUC_MINOR__ >=5
> \
> || BOOST_WORKAROUND(__GNUC__, > 3))
> # define BOOST_PYTHON_USE_GCC_SYMBOL_VISIBILITY 1 # endif

It would be an improvement, it would be minor, I wouldn't have brought it up as
I think it's a pretty small fish to fry, but Daryle did, and now that he has, my
opinion is that he does have a good point and that the right thing is to make
this code easier to read and (possibly) maintain. You are the maintainer, the
final decision is yours, and I am going to turn my attention back to bigger
things in my life.

Ben

--
I changed my name: <http://periodic-kingdom.org/People/NameChange.php>