From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-06 20:10:00

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

> Lucas Galfaso wrote:
>

>>>Are there any plans to add a bignum class to Boost?
>>
>>I tried to do this and submitted 2 versions so people could
>>criticize it and always had to fight with people that
>>demanded that the library has to be as fast as the fastest
>>open source implementation (in this case, GMP.) I can not
>>claim that speed, but I implemented a really fast big number
>>library using assembler only on the critical paths on the
>>most CPU demanding instructions. That was not enough for some
>>boost-ers.
>

> Could you point me to this library, please? I'ld like to try to put it into
> Wave to support cross compilation and/or configurable precision support.

IMO, you do not need an arbitrary precision integer. All you
need is a fixed precision integer (64, 128 or 256 bits). That
is a lot faster to operate on. There are lots of such libraries
and it's easy to write one. Surely, you do not need to compute
things like PI to a million decimal places ;-)

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com