From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-11 13:17:16

On 12/10/05, Reece Dunn <msclrhd_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Jeff Garland wrote:
> > All -
> >
> > Today (Dec 10th) is the start of the format review of the Asynchronous
> > I/O library (asio) library by Christopher Kohlhoff. The review will run
> > until Friday December 23rd. I will be serving as review manager.
>
> I am not that well versed in the target domain, but I do have a basic
> understanding of how everything works.
>
> As has been mentioned, having a (standard) socket API will greatly help
> C++ compete with other languages that have extensive libraries such as Java.
>
> I have only taken a cursory glance at the docs at the moment. From what
> I have read, there is built in support for TCP and UDP I/O, but you
> could extend this to support other transports such as asynchronous files
> or named pipes. Is the interface generic enough so I can do this easily?
> How would I provide this functionality? (If this is in the docs, please
> tell me to RTFM ;) hopefully with a link to where in the docs it is).

For what I worked with the library (which is very little), it is very
straightforward to add support for other transports. I have
implemented part of a asynchronous file IO with the AIO. Unfortunately
I havent found time to continue working on this.

> Another question: is there a way I can bind a socket to an I/O stream so
> I can easily send data across a network.

IMO, Asynchronous IO doesnt couple very well with the concept of streams.
What you're probably looking for is the network library of Pedro
Lamarão, which is basically an network stream library (had even
suggestions to change the name of library to reflect this).

> Also, what would be interesting is an asynchronous serialisation archive
> so you can serialise/deserialise classes across a network like you can
> in Java.

See the library I told above. It's probably straightforward to achieve that.

[comments about the documentation]

> - Reece

best regards,

--