From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-12 08:43:50

On 12/10/05, Victor A. Wagner Jr. <vawjr_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Sorry guys, I think this is one of the worst times to try to get
> volunteers to do anything, let alone a serious job of reviewing a new
> library. IMO, it doesn't matter if the library is perfect, there are
> enough of us< who understand the problems thoroughly, who just won't
> be able to cobble together the time to do an honest review.
>
> So, given that I can't review it, I'll vote NO now (I can't vote YES
> on anything I haven't read (in stark contrast to the entire House of
> Representatives in the U.S. Congress)).

This is a complete cop-out and an insult to the people who *do* plan to
spend time reviewing and using this library, not to mention its author. I
personally plan to write a review of asio and have been spending time using
it in advance of this. A modern C++ networking library is one of the most
fundamental pieces of functionality from Standard C++. Reviewing this
library is therefore worth *anyones* time, particularly someone who
"understand the problems thoroughly".

Perhaps you are unable to devote the necessary time to write a formal
review, but to then cast a backhanded vote rejecting it without any analysis
is offensive and spiteful. As suchm I don't think this vote should be
counted towards any formal tallys. I am sure there will be enough
thoughtful reviews and criticism from other Boosters who can and will spend
the time necessary, that this formal review will be completed before the
Grinch hits town.

--
Caleb Epstein
caleb dot epstein at gmail dot com