From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-14 13:37:08

"Stefan Seefeld" <seefeld_at_[hidden]> wrote

> Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
>
> > Maybe I got a wrong impression, but to me it looks like asio is offered
(or
> > perceived) as something like Boost Networking Library. And as such, I
would
> > expect clean sockets from it. Otherwise, who will provide them? Do we
> > expect another Socket class to be reviewed any time soon?
>
> There was a very good discussion about this some months ago, when someone
> posted a layered design.
>
> I think ideally a (network) stream API would thus be layered on top of
asio.
> In fact, if the low level 'transport protocol' is being made a policy, the
> stream API could be parametrized to only depend on asio if async
operations
> are requested.

I would expect both asio and a stream API to be layered on top of low-level
socket API. This socket API should wrap the platform dependency, but
otherwise provide pretty much the same capabilities as current C socket APIs
provide, with minimum overhead.

Regards,
Arkadiy