From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jbms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-14 15:55:45

"Arkadiy Vertleyb" <vertleyb_at_[hidden]> writes:

> [snip]

> I would expect both asio and a stream API to be layered on top of low-level
> socket API. This socket API should wrap the platform dependency, but
> otherwise provide pretty much the same capabilities as current C socket APIs
> provide, with minimum overhead.

The key problem with that approach is that a `thin' wrapper over the
platform APIs is basically useless for implementing asynchronous
operations, because asynchronous operations must be implemented in
widely different ways on the different platforms.

For synchronous operations, it happens to be the case that every
platform provides basically the same interface, so at least a portable
(but not necessarily very good) interface can be created through only a
thin wrapper.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard