From: Jody Hagins (jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-22 17:05:03

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:16:11 -0000 (GMT)
"christopher baus" <christopher_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Interesting. Could you give an example where select() is faster than
> epoll()? I suspect it is with smaller numbers of file descriptors.

I knew someone would ask. I did that work a long time ago, so let me
start off concurrent prayers and grep.

I was reading a linux networking book, and the performance numbers in
that book seemd a bit ludicrous (I *did* work in a unix kernel group for
a while, and I've used unix networking for many years).

So, I took his examples, and his awesome performance was just in making
the system call (it was actually failing with an error). Since I had
started that course of action, I continued with my own tests.

Unfortunately, the grep failed to find what I was looking for. I'll
keep looking (I may have done it on an old machine that I do not have
anymore).