From: Jody Hagins (jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-22 19:39:22

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:16:11 -0000 (GMT)
"christopher baus" <christopher_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Interesting. Could you give an example where select() is faster than
> epoll()? I suspect it is with smaller numbers of file descriptors.

Actually, I do not remember it being a smaller number of FDs. I believe
I remember epoll outperforming select() only when there were a few file
descriptors ready. In tests of lots of FDs, I think I remember select()
actually outperforming epoll() when lots of the file descriptors were
ready for input at the same time.

IIRC, epoll was FABULOUS with lots of FDs, with infrequent activity.
However, with the same number of FDs, select() actually outperformed
epoll() when there was data ready to be read on most of the file
descritors.

Again, this is from memory of work done a long time ago, but I bet if
you wrote a quick example of what I describe, you will find similar
results. If not, I'll give you your money back on the price you paid me
for my opinion ;-)