From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-29 07:27:31

Hi Ron,

--- Ronald Garcia <garcia_at_[hidden]> wrote:
<snip>
> > Unfortunately there are other issues with support for 10.3, such
> > as the lack of thread-safe DNS functions.
> >

> Can 10.3 still support much of asio, or is the above a killer?

Witk the kqueue workaround you made (something that really
requires more investigation) I believe it will work OK, provided
you don't call DNS functions from multiple threads, don't do
more than one asynchronous host_resolver call at a time, and
don't mix synchronous and asynchronous host_resolver calls.

Actually come to think of it, I'm not sure if the DNS thread
safety problem is in 10.3. I know it was in 10.1 and 10.2, and
is not in 10.4. Can you have a look at the man page for
gethostbyname and see if it says anything about thread safety,
possibly under "BUGS"?

If necessary, this limitation can also be worked around for 10.3
by adding a wrapper around all DNS calls that uses a mutex to
ensure that only one call to the underlying functions is made at
a time.

Cheers,
Chris