From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-29 08:03:31

Hi Jody,

--- Jody Hagins <jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> but I was rudely surprised to see the compilation fail with the
> following error...

/home/jody/boost-asio-proposal-0.3.6/boost/asio/detail/mutex.hpp:25:3:
> #error Thread support is required!
>
> I was able to get it to build and run with this...
>
> g++ -I${BOOST_ROOT} -I${ASIO_ROOT} -D_REENTRANT -o timer timer.cpp
> -lpthread
>
> I find this highly problematic. I am not writing a multithreaded
> application, so why do I have to compile with threading enabled?

As you mentioned, threads are required for the async DNS lookup.

This has never really come up, and to my knowledge you are the
first to ask for the ability to build without using thread
support.

I can check for BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS (in fact I've already made
some changes along this line), but when threads are disabled
functionality like asynchronous host resolution will have to be
made unavailable.

Cheers,
Chris