From: Kevin Heifner (heifner_k_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-05 00:11:11

David Abrahams wrote:
> I can think of at least one company that might accept support
> contracts to keep Boost viable with vc6.5. The only question in my
> mind is whether library maintainers would accept the patches or the
> company would have to maintain a fork.

Patches are not always practical. For example if you want to
support a compiler that does not provide namespaces. The
workarounds impact the interface.

ACE/TAO, for example, have forked open source versions supported
commercially. Enhancements and bug fixes are rolled forward into
the cutting edge 'head' versions. This arrangement has worked
successfully for many years.

And yes I know a commercial company that is willing to accept
support contracts to keep Boost viable with vc6.5. The
commercial companies provide support for those that need to stay
put on old compilers while allowing the community to move forward
more rapidly.

KevinH

--
Kevin Heifner  heifner @ ociweb.com  http://heifner.blogspot.com