From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-05 11:42:17

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:51:53 -0500, David Abrahams wrote
> "Richard V. Day" <richardvday_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > It sounds like I and many other people are going to have to stop
> > using boost as many of us are still tied to this compiler whether we
> > like it or not. We do not all have a choice as to what compiler we
> > can use. We must make do with what we have.

As has been pointed out you can use everything in boost up to 1.33.1 -- it's
just that you won't have access to the very latest boost versions. One part
of the dynamic here is that many of the VC6 projects using boost now won't
upgrade boost anyway because of the fear of breaking something -- it's the
same argument that keeps them using VC6. If there's really some new library
that is critical for their future, then these projects can work with developer
or try to back-port for their own use.

> It is true that programmers targeting embedded platforms (such as the
> SH4) don't have a choice about upgrading.
>
> I can think of at least one company that might accept support
> contracts to keep Boost viable with vc6.5. The only question in my
> mind is whether library maintainers would accept the patches or the
> company would have to maintain a fork.

I think a fork or perhaps an 'official' branch with commercial support is good
solution. I don't think alot of open source projects will be impacted by
dropping vc6 support. If commercial enterprises want to band together to
extend support then that's their right and choice. Sharing back with the
community is to their advantage, so we should support it -- as long as it
doesn't detract from pushing boost forward into the future.

Jeff