From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-05 12:58:29

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I think a fork or perhaps an 'official' branch with commercial
> support

Are those distinct things?

> is good solution.

It sounds really confusing to me. Users will wonder if the "official"
boost release is... the "official" branch that has the backing of
commercial support, or... the one that's on the main trunk and is
"supported" by boost.org

> I don't think alot of open source projects will be impacted by
> dropping vc6 support. If commercial enterprises want to band together to
> extend support then that's their right and choice. Sharing back with the
> community is to their advantage, so we should support it -- as long as it
> doesn't detract from pushing boost forward into the future.

I guess allowing it to sit in the CVS on a branch would be nice, but I
don't think it really amounts to "support..." unless you had something
else in mind (?)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting