From: Harold Pirtle (harold.d.pirtle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-14 15:02:11

This is in response to the Shmem formal review request.

I have used Ion's library for the last 6 months developing several
multi-threaded applications using gcc 3.4.4 on RH Linux WS4 and continue
to use it on a daily basis. I have found the library to be extremely
well designed and documented. I can say with confidence that Shmem
works very well, including all the shared memory sync primitives. I
have created thousands of c++ objects in shared memory using multiple
server applications and multiple client updater applications all running
simultaneously accessing the same objects at update rates close to
100hz. The shared sync primitives work flawlessly. The only area of
frustration I have experienced is the use of containers in shared memory
which Ion describes in his documentation. He has provided a good set of
containers and describes their usage under "STL containers in shared
memory" and why he has provided them but it sure would be nice if STL
implementations would use typedefs for allocator pointers so that any
stl container could be used in shared memory.

Overall, this is would be an excellent addition to the boost library.

Harold