From: Jim Douglas (jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-15 05:10:32

Joel de Guzman wrote:
> Tompa wrote:
>>Of course, I know that this is my personal preference, but since most of you
>>other boost:ers are used to read from left to right, I would like to ask you
>>why you think it is better to start navigate from the right side. What is the
>>rationale behind this?
>
> IMO, Rene does not need to provide a rationale for it. It is
> a matter of taste and for that, we should give the designer
> some freedom -- unless there is a valid rationale for the
> objection. Hence, I think it is your burden to substantiate
> your objection.

Ergonomic studies have shown that a menu on the RHS is easier to use
than on the LHS. The reasons have more to do with being right handed
than cultural reading conventions.

With early versions of HTML it was difficult to position a fixed width
column on the right of the page, but easy if it was on the left. Ergo
the navigation menu on the left is simply a relic of the past, and just
goes to illustrate how we humans keep on repeating the mistakes of our
forefathers :-)

Jim