From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-16 08:17:13

"Stefan Seefeld" wrote
> Andy Little wrote:
>> "Tobias Schwinger" wrote
>>>What's wrong with "libraries by category" part of
>>>
>>> http://www.boost.org/libs/libraries.htm
>>>
>>>in the first place?!
>>

>> hmm .. Having Spirit and Wave under "string and text processing" is a bit
>> underwhelming for earth shattering libs like these isnt it?
>> They sound so much coooler in the "bleeding-edge libraries" section ...
>> Thats
>> where I'd prefer to be anyway!
>
> While I agree that 'string and text processing' might not be the most
> accurate description for them, I don't think 'bleeding-edge libraries' isn't
> a very meaningful category to put anything in. What does it tell about the
> problem domain ? It seems more about marketing than information. IMO of
> course.

I should have put a smiley at the end of that. Nevertheless its a serious point.
I do know about http://www.boost.org/libs/libraries.htm
 but I can never actually find what I'm looking for when I get there as
everythings a bit arbitrarily categorised and its a bit miserable. I guess the
true answer is semantic markup or whatever the latest html wizardry is. The
short term alt option is an *Alphabetic* drop-down list of keywords which take
you can put into the google box. Like you get with MS compiled Help files. The
Google box works quite well though FWIW.

regards
Andy Little