From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-17 11:07:52

"David Abrahams" wrote
> "Andy Little" writes:
>
>> My problem is that it just isnt Generic enough, but just someone
>> elses grouping (nor is the current grouping any better) . Whats
>> needed is some sort of generic grouping mechanism with a choice of
>> grouping algorithms and /or keywords. That would be more in the
>> spirit of boost. (The nearest thing currently is the Google box. )
>> Of course whether the technology a) exists b) is acceptable on the
>> website.... is another matter.
>
> I think the inclination to use complex and unspecified (non-existent?)
> technology to attack the library browsability problem is really
> amusing.

I'm glad that I at least lightened your day ;-)

> In my opinion, it's not at all in the spirit of Boost.

I was thinking about generic programming when I wrote that FWIW.

> Operationally, many of the things we do are purposefully simple to
> avoid imposing lots of overhead on our volunteer structure. If *I*
> were a newbie asked to choose among grouping algorithms I would
> probably go back and read the list from beginning to end. The human
> ability to categorize blows what machines can do out of the water any
> day of the week, and I think exactly what Beth is doing -- with a
> little input from other participants -- is likely to produce far
> superior results.

FWIW Here are some algorithmic categories I thought of. Some you may
recognise...

Sort by Most popular
Sort by least popular
Sort by Most recent
Sort by Oldest
Choose Header only no linking reqd
Choose Header only or Autolink
Choose those that need building
Choose only those with standardisation proposals
Choose only those with equivalents in TR1.
Alphabetical A-Z.
Alphabetical Z-A.
Rated excellent/good/medium/poor...

> Just my 2c; if you feel like coding it up, we can always try it for
> comparison.

Basically a drop down box, which provides the above algorithms and similar that
can be added as demanded/coded.
On selecting one algorithm bring up a list of the relevant libraries.
Ideally float mouse over a particular query result gives a popup with a bit more
detailed info.
Not sure whether Javascript is acceptable though? ( hmm if Javascript can do
it.. havent used it for a long time )

(hmm......I wonder if he's still laughing ) ....... ;-)

regards
Andy Little