From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-17 09:27:19

"Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> writes:

> My problem is that it just isnt Generic enough, but just someone
> elses grouping (nor is the current grouping any better) . Whats
> needed is some sort of generic grouping mechanism with a choice of
> grouping algorithms and /or keywords. That would be more in the
> spirit of boost. (The nearest thing currently is the Google box. )
> Of course whether the technology a) exists b) is acceptable on the
> website.... is another matter.

I think the inclination to use complex and unspecified (non-existent?)
technology to attack the library browsability problem is really
amusing. In my opinion, it's not at all in the spirit of Boost.
Operationally, many of the things we do are purposefully simple to
avoid imposing lots of overhead on our volunteer structure. If *I*
were a newbie asked to choose among grouping algorithms I would
probably go back and read the list from beginning to end. The human
ability to categorize blows what machines can do out of the water any
day of the week, and I think exactly what Beth is doing -- with a
little input from other participants -- is likely to produce far
superior results.

Just my 2c; if you feel like coding it up, we can always try it for
comparison.

-Dave

--
Dave Abrahams