From: Beth Jacobson (bethj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-17 20:07:03

Paul Giaccone wrote:

> Excellent, Beth, good job! This is just the sort of thing I had in mind
> and would have done if other constraints on my time had permitted.
> Thank you! I hope this or something very similar will be put somewhere
> prominently on the Boost website as I think it will be a very valuable
> asset for both potential and existing users.

Thanks, Paul. Any chance that we could pool our limited time resources
to get this done? I'm still hoping that if we could get the groupings
nailed down with good names and descriptions and the libraries properly
sorted among them, others would contribute individual library
descriptions. Without that additional help, I'm afraid the job would
just be too large. With some of the libraries -- particularly the ones I
listed under "Advanced Utilities" and "Bleeding Edge" -- it would take
some time just to get up to speed on the concepts behind them, not to
mention learning enough about the library itself to describe it
intelligently. Others like threading or the BGL, I'm somewhat familiar
with, but someone with more experience with those types of libraries
could better judge which features are most important to potential users.

The groupings should probably be done first, because different types of
descriptions are appropriate to different groups. For example,
descriptions for "Tweaks" (or "Enhancements", if people prefer), should
describe the problem they solve (memory leaks, bad casts, etc), while
Simple Utilities would just describe what the functions do, and General
Libraries would be mostly a features list to help people quickly decide
whether the Boost implementation is worth investigating. The more
clearly we can specify the types of descriptions we need, the more
forthcoming contributions are likely to be. Asking someone to describe
the serialization library in a few sentences can be a little
intimidating. Listing its major features doesn't seem so hard.