From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-17 20:25:03

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:47:06 -0500, Sean Huang wrote
> There is a bug in std::basic_iostream in VC8

Thx for tracking this down.

(http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=e08bd793-3fef-40ff-adda-ed313e0eafcc)
that affects all classes derived from it. During the output of a ptime, a
basic_stringstream object is created/destroyed and that is causing the memory
leak. I personally think Microsoft should release a patch for this but it
looks like they won't until the next release. You might be able to obtain a
hotfix by contacting Microsoft Technical support.

> On the other hand, std::basic_ostringstream/std::basic_istringstream
> do not suffer the same memory leak. And maybe data_time library can
> change to use them instead of std::basic_stringstream (line 304 in
> time_facet.hpp as of release 1.33.0). I haven't really looked into
> data_time library so I can not say this for sure.

Perhaps it would work, but I have to say I feel highly unmotivated to spend my
time working trying to work around this vendor bug. This bug is bad enough
that anyone seriously using C++ will have to use the workaround patch
available on the MS website.

Jeff