From: Beth Jacobson (bethj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-19 19:09:28

Tobias Schwinger wrote:

> OK, here's how I would structure what Boost's all about for someone who's new to it:
>

> - components that are direct add-ons to the standard library
> Array, CompressedPair, DynamicBitset, IO State Savers, Iterators and MultiArray
>
> - components that deal with functors
> Bind, Function, Functional, Lambda and Phoenix (currently part of Spirit)
>
> - components that refine concepts that originally came from C
> Any, Optional and Variant
>
> - components that provide abstractions for OS facilities
> Filesystem, Thread and Timer
>
> - components that address typical programming problems
> Crc, MultiIndex, Pool, ProgramOptions and Serialization
>
> - components for text processing
> Lexical Cast, Regex, Spirit, StringAlgo, Tokenizer and XPressive
>
> - components that address mathematical problems
> everything under boost/math, Graph, Interval, MinMax, Random, Rational, TriBool
> and uBLAS
>
> - components in the domain of programming languages
> Python and Wave
>
> - utilities
> everything under boost/utility, InPlaceFactory, Ref SmartPtr and ValueInitialized
>
> - components for addding syntactic sugar
> Assign, Format, Operators, Parameter and Range (well, sort of)
>
> - components for generic programming / metaprogramming
> CallTraits, Concept Check, Enable If, MPL, Preprocessor, StaticAssert, Tuple
> and TypeTraits
>
> - components for portability- and quality assurance
> Test, Config, Compatiblity and Integer
>
> .
>
> Not perfect, but it's a start.

I like your list. It's a novel way of grouping the libraries compared to
both mine and the existing categories, and I wonder if it might be worth
including as its own page, but it's not really what I'm trying to do
here. I've avoided the word "selling", but this is really what the page
is about. I'm not trying to sell the libraries (I think they can sell
themselves), but I am trying to sell people on the idea that it's worth
their time to read more about them. Looking only at the descriptions,
the only one that really does that for me is "components that address
typical programming problems".