From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-18 21:27:30

Beth Jacobson wrote:
> Tobias Schwinger wrote:
>
>>What's wrong with "libraries by category" part of
>>
>> http://www.boost.org/libs/libraries.htm
>>
>>in the first place?!
>>

> Nothing. This would be in addition to, not in place of.

Fine. I guess you can get some library descriptions from there.
Some of the descriptions could perhabs need an "English translation" for new users.

>>"C++ Tweak" doesn't quite cut it right for all what's listed in this section, I think.
>

> Suggestions are welcome.

OK, here's how I would structure what Boost's all about for someone who's new to it:

- components that are direct add-ons to the standard library
    Array, CompressedPair, DynamicBitset, IO State Savers, Iterators and MultiArray

- components that deal with functors
    Bind, Function, Functional, Lambda and Phoenix (currently part of Spirit)

- components that refine concepts that originally came from C
    Any, Optional and Variant

- components that provide abstractions for OS facilities
    Filesystem, Thread and Timer

- components that address typical programming problems
    Crc, MultiIndex, Pool, ProgramOptions and Serialization

- components for text processing
    Lexical Cast, Regex, Spirit, StringAlgo, Tokenizer and XPressive

- components that address mathematical problems
    everything under boost/math, Graph, Interval, MinMax, Random, Rational, TriBool
    and uBLAS

- components in the domain of programming languages
    Python and Wave

- utilities
    everything under boost/utility, InPlaceFactory, Ref SmartPtr and ValueInitialized

- components for addding syntactic sugar
    Assign, Format, Operators, Parameter and Range (well, sort of)

- components for generic programming / metaprogramming
    CallTraits, Concept Check, Enable If, MPL, Preprocessor, StaticAssert, Tuple
    and TypeTraits

- components for portability- and quality assurance
    Test, Config, Compatiblity and Integer

.

Not perfect, but it's a start.

Regards,