From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-15 07:46:39

> Using 100 tests with nextafter, starting with the value you found
> faulty, I find 38 failures (all one bit wrong on input) - about the
> one third I found in previous tests.

Oh shucks: I wonder would this be solved by using the solution I often see
in the literature when an author wants to give a binary floating point value
exactly: which is to represent it as an integer + a base 2 exponent. Values
in that form can be serialised/deserialised exactly using ldexp/frexp, but
unfortunately aren't very human readable (or rather are open to
mis-interpretation because the exponent is a power of 2 not 10). This
format is similar to the "A" format specifier in the C99 version of printf,
and I believe the code is quite simple as well BTW,

John.