From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-21 20:32:16

Joel de Guzman <joel_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Joel de Guzman <joel_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>>It is very useful indeed. I can attest to that. It's very useful for
>>>me when I have to provide someone with information. I can simply
>>>right click and grab the URL of the specific section I wish to
>>> share.
>>
>> How does right clicking help? If you go to
>> http://www.boost.org/libs/parameter/doc/html/index.html#portability-considerations
>> and right click you can copy a link to
>> http://www.boost.org/libs/parameter/doc/html/index.html#id45.
>
> Aha! The way I did it with quickbook, you can have the exact link.
> Try it here: http://tinyurl.com/rlqz8. Try to right click
> a heading. The URL is exactly what you get copied.

Well. Those headings do have the no-op problem that Daryle mentioned
and I think that's problematic. When you said that you borrowed the
idiom from the docutils-generated docs and that it "helps you know
where you are" I assumed that you were doing the same thing as the
docutils links, which take you exactly to the location in the TOC
that links to the section header. That gives you useful context,
rather than simply making it possible to copy a link.

>>>The alternative would be to go back to the table of contents
>>> and grab the link there.
>>
>> That's what you have to do, neh? You click once to get to the TOC,
>> then you right-click the link at the top of the page.
>
> Tedious and possibly error prone, IMO ;)

Works beautifully for me. The link to copy is exactly at the top of
the window. I've never made a mistake with it.

> How's that any different from just clicking the "Up" link?

Try it; you'll see.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting