From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-21 20:45:20

On 3/21/06 2:03 PM, "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Joel de Guzman <joel_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 02:04:02 +0800
>>
>> Daryle Walker wrote:
>>> [I've added the main Boost list to this response so the MPL guys can see
>>> it.]

>>> So my final advice is to remove this mis-feature, and have the MPL docs
>>> purge it too.
>>
>> Good points! Thanks for taking the trouble to explain in detail.
>> Makes perfect sense, IMO.
>
> Not to me. Despite what Daryle says, the feature hurts nobody (or at
> least he hasn't explained why it hurts anyone), and once you discover
> it's there, it's very useful. If there were a more explicit way to
> implement those links without interfering with presentation, I might
> go for it, but I don't have any brilliant ideas and nobody else has
> offered any so for now, that's the best we can do.

You don't implement the feature at all, just read the URL from the browser's
input/status line for copy & paste. The feature doesn't add anything the
the user couldn't already do, and it has the UI disadvantages I mentioned.
(1: Keep non-links, unused links, and visited links distinct. 2: Don't link
a page to itself [as a whole, linking different sub-sections is OK].)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie