From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-21 21:51:52

I've been reading the notes at <http://www.useit.com>, specifically the
"Alert Box" section at <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/>.

>>> This is a feature that may be "kewl" for very advanced users, but
>>> it's obscure for above-average users, and detrimental to anyone
>>> else.
>>
>> I'm a below-average or middling web user and for me it has nothing to
>> do with "kewlness." Once I discovered the feature I considered it useful.
>
> I agree with Dave, it has nothing to do with "kewlness". I too
> find them very useful.

I think there's been a big misunderstanding here. I never looked at any of
the pages besides the first one Joel explicitly mentioned in the original
message. I didn't realize that Joel applied the technique at a sub-section
level too. (The sub-sections link to themselves, like '<a name="hi"
href="#hi">') I feel that I'm right at the whole-page level, but I don't
have a fully-formed opinion at the section level yet. I see why it could be
helpful, but couldn't you use an explicit mnemonic instead (maybe a linked
"bookmark this" button next to the title)?

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie