From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-27 03:34:11

David Abrahams wrote:

> Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>> Is it a bad idea to think about using a recursive bjam invocation for
>>> this sort of thing? That is, configure.run-test could invoke bjam to
>>> update the target associated with have_dlopen.
>>
>> This is possible, but I'm concerned about performance implications of
>> this. It's quite feasible to have 100, or 200 tests, running separate
>> bjam for each one might be too slow.
>
> You could run one bjam for all the tests

It's tricky. Say you have:

  if [ configure.has-lib foo ]
  {
  }

  if [ configure.has-lib bar ]
  {
  }

Them if you invoke bjam once for configuration, from 'configure.has-lib',
how that configure step knows that it should check not only for 'foo' but
also for 'bar', when 'has-lib' for bar is not yet called.

So, you'd have to have a separate file describing configure checks, not the
above syntax. This is passable, but not ideal.

- Volodya